Thursday, August 31, 2006

EARTHQUAKE!

Woah- that was totally freaky! I just experienced my first Tokyo earthquake!!! (it's about 5:30pm here at work) -- I was sitting at my desk, writing an email and at first I thought someone was jumping right behind me. It sort of felt like the floor was like jello, bouncy. Then things kinda shook a little (not enough to knock anything down). Everyone in the office was just kind of like "oh an earthquake". Then everyone said to me - welcome to Tokyo! There was a building announcement that said don't use the elevators but that thee building was safe.

I've never experienced anything like that. Apparantly it was fairly big, at least definitely noticable... it was a 4.8 (japanese scale) and was centered out in Tokyo bay somewhere, probably about a 3 in the city. Check out a map at this link (sorry can't seem to make it clickable):

http://typhoon.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/earthquake/?c=3

In a way that was cool but a little scary. We are on the 30th Floor here. People here seem really used to it though. I hope there's never bigger earthquake than that while I'm here!

On a totally separate note, tonight I am meeting up with Sophia (the girl that invited me out last week) for dinner at Nobu Tokyo. She has a friend who's last day in the city is today. Yummm....



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

lucky you! for Nobu, not the earthquake. report back on you meal there.

Anonymous said...

Wow - can't believe earthquakes are no big deal over there - I guess people get used to it.

Have fun at Nobu!
I have never been would love to hear how it is.

Miss you!
JLRE

Anonymous said...

That was no earthquake-- just a whole bunch of people in China jumping up and down at the same time!
I've been thru Typhoon Rose in Hong Kong but no earthquakes when I lived in SF.
Enjoy Nobu.

KT said...

Hey Jenn! My first comment. Thanks for reminding me about your blog in your last email. I'm taking it a bit easy at work today and went through your entire blog. Glad the earthquake was just a minor one. Can't wait to read more about your time and adventures in Japan.

I think by logging in, there's a link to my blog. If you're ever bored in Japan, check it out. It's a food blog. I should be writing about our Tigerland dinner within the next week. I know, I'm really behind!

Can't wait to hear about Nobu!

Amy Honigfeld said...

Glad your first earthquake wasn't too big!! Remind me to fill you on some Stanford U stories I heard when I lived out there...
Amy

Anonymous said...

Godzirra?

Anonymous said...

I just went to Nobu in NYC for the first time this weekend! The food was absolutely amazing and well worth the price here. Let us know how it was over there- the sashimi salad, rock shrimp, and cod fish were to die for.

John S.