Saturday, August 12, 2006

I HAVE ARRIVED!

Ouch I just lost my entire blog post so have to write it again...
So I made it! I woke up yesterday morning and could not believe what I saw on the news. Had to be the day I left for Japan with all the mess with extra security. I called the airline and they said to arrive 4 hours early. No way that was going to happen since I just had woken up. After arriving only about 2 1/2 hours early I found there was no line at the business class check-in. There was also NO line an security. Very strange, maybe I just got lucky but it was a very easy check in. After a tearful goodbye with Kenn I made my way to the Red Carpet lounge. What a great way to relax and unwind. Business class was cushy and comfy, I don't know how I am ever going to fly economy again. I lounged, ate, watched the Sentinel, read a few of my new books on Japanese customs & etiquette and pretty much slept/relaxed the whole 13-14 hours. It went by fast. As we were landing in the Narita airport, a wave of emotions came over me as I thought about the new life I was about to embark on.

After a long line at immigration, my first task was to figure out how to use the toilet. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to flush the it because there were a million buttons and everything was in Japanese but I eventually figured it out. Steven (my coworker in Japan) was nice enough to meet me at the airport. We took the Narita express train into the city and then a taxi to my apt. Steven invited me to dinner with some of his expat friends. I decided to go because I wasn't feeling jetlagged yet and it was near my office. Steven showed me how to get a subway card and the route to the office. Of all places, we went to a Tex Mex restaurant and I had a burger!! Haha- way to ease my way into Japan...

The apt is really nice. It's basically like an extended stay hotel so very comfortable. Though the layout is different than my NY apt, I'd say it's around the same size so definitely not the tiny Tokyo residence expected. There's a concierge/doorman/security desk, a nice lobby with free coffee and a fitness room in the building. The apt itself has a washer/dryer, heated floors and a small balcony. I know people are dying to see pics of the place. The bad news is I just took some but I think I packed the camera cord in the boxes being shipped here so I can't upload them until later. Oops. Check back later, I'll be sure to post pics.

I woke up at 7:30am today. Today's plan is to unpack, figure out how to use the TV, A/C, lights, etc. in this place, walk around the neighborhood, and find a supermarket and shop for food. So far, so good. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you have a fitness room and washer/dryer - then i am definitely coming! :)

Jenn Okula said...

The question is- will you ever leave??? ;)