Sunday, August 20, 2006

Pics!!

The post you have all been waiting for - including pics! First, a quick update on the weekend... My shipment came on Friday. I wish I hadn't packed so much stuff. Why do I have so much clothes I don't wear? Saturday was spent unpacking, relaxing and then I headed over to Steven and his wife's (Noboe) place. They are about 30 mintues outside the city and there was a fireworks festival there. Noboe lent me a Yukata which is a Japanese summer Kimono widely used for everything from festivals, ryokan, summer daily wear to simple night attire. Check out the pics below. His expat friends (all married to Japanese girls) and all of us went to one of the guy's rooftops to watch the hour long fireworks. Great show with impressive displays including cool shapes. Great spot, we avoided the crowds and I had somewhere to hang out after while the massive crowds took the train home at the same time. Sunday I met up with another one of my brother's contacts. Someone he knew from Michigan. A couple that just moved here 3 months ago from the US. They had a car and took me out to lunch, I went to their church, and then they took me to a discount supermarket. Really nice couple and a nice weekend, went by really fast. Enjoy the pics!


Bedroom. Big bed and other than the chair nothing else fits in there. A lot of closet space though.












Small separate "room" with the toliet (left).You can't really read it, but the toilet instuctions are below. :)

The shower room where there is also a washer/dryer is separate.



(Right) is the living room area with flat screen and the far room is like an office. That's the end with the small balcony and those white doors slide shut making a convenient "guest" room with space for an air mattress.







(Right) View from the baclony. That's the Tokyo Tower in the background - day and night.



Check out me in the Yukata!



The view from the roof - huge crowds

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun weekend! your place looks great! can't wait to go! met someone last night that just went to tokyo and kyoto - looking forward to next april!

Anonymous said...

Whassup? Sounds like an interesting and fun weekend. It's good that you've utilized Greg's contacts.
Your apt. appears small by American standards but it has modern amenities. A teacher friend of mine told me that some Jap. toilets don't require toilet paper-- like a bidet, there's a water rinse and then a hot air dryer.
FYI-- Tokyo( formerly Edo) and Kyoto are names in reverse--I think one means East Capital and the other West Capital when Japan had two capitals.