Sunday, August 13, 2006

Day 2

No, I'm not going to keep numbering my days here... Another great day though - as I write this, I am looking out my balcony window at the Tokyo Tower (looks like the Eiffel Tower and built to replicate it) and there are fireworks going off next to it. What a nice welcome to the city. Fireworks are a big thing here in the summer. They have elaborate 1 hour displays almost every weekend in different parts of the city. Pretty cool.

Today I did some more grocery shopping for some basic items and then I met up with Haruka and her sister. Haruka is someone my brother met through his church. She's Japanese and speaks perfect English. They showed me around the Shibuya area a bit, helped me look at cell phones, helped me buy a 3 month train pass, and showed me how to recognize common items in the drugstore. They were a big help so I really appreciated all their tips. :)

Tomorrow I report to the office. My commute is great, it's just 2 subway stops away. I don't want to jump the gun but I think I'm going to like it in Tokyo. There will definitely be challenges with the language and navigating the trains and being homesick and the prices! But so far my first impressions have been great my first weekend so I am really looking forward to diving in and enjoying my year here!!

No comments: