Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A little lighter

Since Livia claims my last post was deep, I think my devoted blog readers (all 3 of you) deserve some fluff on my interesting Tokyo observations and funny antics so far:

It's hard to find pepper in the supermarket. I found salt but no pepper - weird.

I have been watching the crap out of some CNN. The only other things in English are the Discovery channel and various movie channels showing things like Goonies, ET, Fame, The Sound of Music, and some Will Smith movies.

It's true that most toliets have a million buttons and functions including Bidee's, seat warmers, and of course a button that plays a flushing sound to hide "embarrassing" noises.

Japanese women are short, petite, pale (they carry around umbrellas to block the sun), feminine, and are really into makeup and grooming.....Interesting that I am tall, super tan, have a deeper voice, and I'm lucky if I remember to wear lipstick or pluck my eyebrows regularly. They must think I am a beast!!

Fun fact: there is one vending machine to every 20 people in Tokyo. (I haven't seen anything funky sold in one yet)

This one's for Livia and Jenn Leire: the magic wallet is a real setback here. Coins go up to 500 yen (apprx $4.28) so you can imagine, getting change from purchases means I'm now walking around with a bag full of heavy coins!

All women wear stylish shoes here. I may be the only person in Tokyo wearing flip flops.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting - the magic wallet is not so magic in other countries outside of Mexico and the US.

Who knew that toliets could have so many functions - I can only imagine how confusing that would be.

We miss you - the office is not the same without you. Riccardo from Mexico Lindo says "Hi"!

Anonymous said...

i didn't say deep was bad - just commenting. :) thanks for the lighter side. i actually have a wallet for out of the country since the rest of the world's money doesn't fold as nicey for the magic wallet and the whole coin thing. dianne if you're reading - hook jenn up with a coach coin purse. :)

ricardo. did i hear pitcher of mojito?!? :) YUM!

keep blogging! you're now pushed ahead of my cnn and nytimes reading in the morning!

- one of your 3 loyal readers. :) (i know - overkill on the smileys - but i can't help myself)

ActionJoJo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ActionJoJo said...

If you want an awesome wallet, check out http://www.freitag.ch/. It's a Swiss company that makes all sorts of bags (the messenger bag was their original idea cuz the inventors needed something sturdy, waterproof, functional, and hip) and wallets out of recycled truck tarp, inner tubing of a bike wheel, and seat belts. Every product is absolutely unique and you can even design your own. They've got both an ecological and social consciousness. I've seen the wallets upfront -- they aren't dainty (nor are they bulky) and will hold tons of large coins; they come in three sizes: ET, Dallas, Denver. A Swiss traveler showed me hers in Costa Rica and it was awesome!