Friday, September 01, 2006

Good eats

So last night at Nobu was great! We did Omakase which is "chef's choice" and is a series of courses. I can't remember how many courses now- let me try to recount: some type of shellfish (1), salad with some kind of sashimi on it (2), another kind of sashimi on a gelatin-ish thing (3), slices of delicious steak (4), 5 pieces of sushi (5), soup (6), assorted desserts (7). I think I'm missing something. It was all really really good, my favorite was the steak. We also had a really good sake and a very expensive tab :) - it was worth it though! We saw some basketball player there, he's from Michigan but played for Duke... personally I had no idea who he was. Sophia's friends were all from the States so it was nice getting to know some more expats and hear all English conversation. Since it was one guy's last night in Tokyo, afterwards we went to a bar in Roppongi (where i live) and met up with their coworkers. Lots of expats and the bar reminded me of one at home.

Had my first all Japanese meeting today. Some clients came in to our office and Steven and another coworker presented our company info in Japanese. Steven translated what they were talking about and the questions I needed to answer.

After work, I went to dinner with Steven and 2 of his friends to an authentic japanese place. Cheap and dirty place, all japanese menu with no pictures and sitting on the floor style, no shoes. We had a ton of little dishes including tuna sashimi, salad, clams, asparagus, fried cheese, cheese and potato, edamame, chicken wings, kimchee, fish, mushrooms, octopus, and Sapporo of course. All really good stuff and that was all for less than $30. I also used my first squatting toilet there. I managed not to pee on myself. :)

I'm still getting used to taking out enough cash from the ATM. It's a very cash only city so I need to start taking out much more. I've already had to borrow money from Sophia and Steven at the last 2 dinners, how embarrassing.

I'm going to relax for the rest of the evening. Admittedly I was out later than I should've been last night. Tomorrow I want to get up early and hit up a museum or something. Then I think I'm going out with Sophia and her friends again.

Thanks for all the comments on the last post. Apparently I have to eat at famous restaurants or be in an earthquake for comments. ;) j/k
Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone! I have to work on Monday....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must have been Shane Battier of Team USA. I wonder if what he ate caused them to lose to Greece last night!

Amy Honigfeld said...

OK I'm insanely jealous!!! That you got to see Shane Battier. He's one of my favorite Blue Devils....