Monday, August 14, 2006

Back to work

Without a day to waste I reported to my first day at the office today. I have to say that commuting here already feels natural to me. Being from NYC makes the transition to Tokyo a lot easier, I'm already used to crowds and subways and mindlessly getting to and from work. What I am not used to is the heat here. It's the dead of summer and hot and humid. I was practically drenched by the time I got to the office. The funny thing is when I look around at other people in the streets or on the subway, it seems like no one is even bothered by the heat. It doesn't even look like anyone is sweating! And everyone wears jeans here and long sleeves. I don't get it! I seriously feel like I'm the only one sweating in this country.

This week a lot of people are out because it's a Japanese holiday, summer vacation type thing. Those that were in the office took me out to lunch - Italian. I learned that a lot of people in the office are expats, transplants or have at some point spent time working or studying in another country. It made me remember once again that Americans are really the only people who are not well travelled or as in touch with other cultures. It's kind of sad really. It made me grateful again that I took this opportunity and I know I will get so much out of it, learn so much from a different perspective on the world from others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

deep thoughts a la jenn! :) it's so true. think living and traveling around the world - learn a lot about others and also yourself. the best education!

and if it makes you feel better - most of the time i feel like the only one sweating in nyc. hope you weren't as hot as during doris and karl's ceremony when lucky you was right in the sun. :)

thank you for blogging so much! it's a SLOW work day.