Saturday, September 02, 2006

3 weeks

Ah ha! Shane Battier - thanks whoever the anonymous commenter was. That was him I saw at Nobu, very good looking guy btw.

I've been here for 3 weeks now. I feel like I've been here forever. I did realize in the last few days though that although Tokyo is convenient to get around, it's also easy to get lost. There's no grid system like NY and there are practically no street signs. You basically always have to have a map of exactly where you are going. Even then, good luck. At least there are police boxes on many corners that you can get directions from. Despite the convenience of subways, streets are not always direct so it takes a lot of walking to get to your actual destination.

So today I went to the Tokyo National Museum. I took a detour (read: I got lost) and wandered around some shopping area/flea market place for awhile (pic below). I also walked through a nice park. The museum was good (all the other pics are of the museum). I really liked the Japanese art - calligraphy and paintings were among my favorites. There was also an archeology wing that was sort of boring. I mean, if you see one really old clay pot and ancient wood or metal tool, you've seen them all. After awhile you're just like, ok I get it, a whole lot of really old stuff.... Ok fine, on a serious note at the very least it gives you some perspective on where you are and who you are at this moment in time which is nice. It's even interesting to wonder what an individual was thinking or doing when they used that pot or painted an old scribe. Yes, I can be deep sometimes people.

But on a less serious note, I actually saw an episode of Sex and the City that I haven't seen. The first episode after Carrie broke up with Aidan and they went to LA to get away. Weird, I thought I'd seen them all. Tonight, I plan to meet up with some of Sophia's friends. Sophia herself is actually home sick with a cold but she put me in touch with some of the folks we went out with last week. I'll be sure to report back.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't remember if I went to National Museum-- probably did but it's been so long that I can't remember. Guess it didn't make an impression on me. I do remember going to Tokyo Tower, the zoo, a topless revue, and Yokohama.
Raw, wet Sat. in NYC-- remnants of a tropical storm blew by.