Tuesday, September 05, 2006

McDonald's

Yes, McDonald's - one of the guilty pleasures in life. I really only eat McDonald's in the US when on a road trip. Kenn made a great point to me the other day that really I am just on one really long road trip so it would be ok to eat McDonald's. I also tell myself I need a little taste from home every now and then. And today I've decided I will go on a little "test the American fast food in Tokyo and report back" adventure. Really it's just an excuse to eat fast food.

So last Friday I forget to mention that I had a sausage mcmuffin for breakfast. It didn't taste the same as in the US, it was kinda gross. The hash brown tasted the same though. Today for lunch I ordered what looked in the pic like a cheeseburger with lettuce and tomato. It was actually a bacon lettuce tomato burger. This also tasted nothing like any McD's burger I've eaten so I was kinda disappointed. The burger meat and cheese tasted different and it also had some sort of spicy mayo sauce. It was ok, not great. The bacon was more like pancetta then regular american bacon. When I looked at it, it was fatty and nasty looking. Of course I ate the burger anyway. The fries also tasted different. They were hot and perfectly cooked but they must use different oil here or something. I actually didn't even finish them all! For those of you that know me and fries, that tells you something about my disappointment. Perhaps next time I will try another McD's sandwich more standard like the regular cheeseburger, big mac, or filet-o-fish and I'll report back on my findings :)

Also to come in future blog posts: Wendy's (there's one in my neighborhood), KFC (these are all over Tokyo), and anything else familiar I can find. Don't worry, I will limit myself to once or week or less. Though I've also reasoned with myself that I can eat what I want here because I am working out now. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My lips have not touched Micky D food in decades. Really. I almost bought their chicken wrap sandwich recently but opted for KFC strips instead.
Fast Food Nation comes out as a movie this Fall.
School starts today in NYC. Hooray! I like to see kids suffer through school; a perk for beng old.

ActionJoJo said...

Micky Ds is different in every country. I've learned that little tidbit after eating a Big Mac in the UK and spaghetti in the Philippines (yup, they sell spaghetti and other types of local cuisine at a Filipino McDs). Totally random, I know.

School starts again for me too. Boo hoo. I'll live vicariously through you and your adventures. Keep blogging!