Sunday, September 03, 2006

Yoyogi Park


Another fun Saturday evening outing as the pic I took when I got home after eating the most delicious ramen noodles I've ever had suggests. :) Went to one really crowded place which was so narrow you couldn't do anything but stand and try not to get pushed around. So then the group decided a change of venue was in order and we ended up at the same place we went to last week. I met another friend of a friend of a friend who is an expat here and she seemed cool, I'll probably try and hang out with her again sometime.



Sunday I went to Yoyogi Park because I saw a listing for a free music festival that sounded interesting.
(Flyer: http://www.pingmag.jp/party/) Live electronica, breaks, hip hop, etc. It was pretty cool. Similar to something like Summer Stage in NYC - bunch of people hanging out with friends, sitting on the concrete or dancing. There were food vendors too that sold beer and these delicious fruity type drinks that are kind like wine coolers sort of. I ate some random vendor food that was a doughy crepe-like thing that had lettuce, egg and what I think was radish topped with a vinegarish sauce and mayo. Sounds weird I know, but it was good.



This park kinda reminds me a little of Union Square Park and also Washington Square Park. All sorts of people hanging around. Right outside it on Sundays are the gothic and sub-culture youth that dress up in outrageous outfits you hear about. The pic is of some guy in drag performing something. I also saw a group of middle-aged men dressed up in 50's "Grease" outfits dancing to 50's music. Down one road next to the park was a whole bunch of rock bands. One after another, all set up with speakers and their music equipment playing songs. Pretty wild people watching to be had at this park, it was fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're learning your way around Tokyo and meeting new people. When I travelled, I was always good with the former but not the latter, by choice.
You have to work tomorrow ( Mon. 9/4)-- it's Labor Day here. Every day is unlabor day for me-- classes don't start until 9/15.