Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Sometimes I forget

It's so easy to get into a routine and I sometimes forget I am in Tokyo! Being here just over 6 weeks now, I can mindlessly commute to and from work just like I used to in NY. Without thinking, I walk my usual route to the subway station, dodge people, take out my subway pass and stand on the platform exactly where I know the doors will open where I want to get out. The funny thing is also that everything is in Japanese, the announcements and all but I don't even notice it anymore. Even when I am in the office and people are talking on the phone in Japanese, I just tune it all out. It's like background noise to me because I don't understand it so it's just sound. I'm also really used to the fact that most everyone is Asian. I don't even notice that anymore when I walk around. Every once in awhile like last night when I was commuting home, it will hit me. I am in Tokyo! A whole other city in a whole other part of the world....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... you need to go somewhere that's less like NYC to experience culture shock. Any job openings in Ho Chi Minh City? or Lima? LOL.