Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Taipei

My first day in Taipei has been pretty good. Taipei seems like a pretty cool city. Last time I was here for work I literally spent less than 24 hours here. This time I have a little time to see a bit but not much. I arrived yesterday early afternoon. The company had a driver pick me up at the airport but there were sooo many drivers with signs at arrivals it took me awhile to find my driver, that kinda sucked. The hotel they put me up in is sort of a low budget business hotel but it works. Weather is actually a little chilly, windy and rainy unfortunately. I ventured out to the National Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall after settling in and ate at a food booth there, I had some fried fish thingy. Then I walked down to the Tunghua Night Market. That was pretty cool. I walked around there a bit and bought some dumplings at a stand.

Today's presentation went ok. My presentation was the only one in English and I think I spoke a little too fast for the crowd so will have to slow down the pace for tomorrow's audience. Then coworkers took me out to dinner, a famous/popular dumpling place. Delicious. Then a famous/popular dessert place. Yum.

I will have the late afternoon free tomorrow and also Thursday morning. I'll try to hit the 101 building and maybe Chiang Kai-shek memorial hall or a museum or something. But so far, my impression of Taipei is a good one.

2 1/2 weeks til I'm back in NY :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The National Museum is huge and only displays a fraction of their holdings at any given time. Greg was there for two weeks last year-- maybe he has some suggestions.
I understand they have traffic lights that have a countdown and a moving figure; when it starts running, you should too!

Anonymous said...

That's definitely what i remember the most back from when i was 12 - the crazy traffic and multilanes of cars, motorbikes, bikes, people, etc...oh - and also this really good bread at a place by my cousin's grandparent's house. all about food. :) enjoy the yummy food!

my cousin jodi and her friend will be coming to nyc for new year's so she has burger for the 29th - thinking either burger joint or o'neil's and blue smoke for the 30th - a more low key new year's eve eve night. you're welcome to join! made reservations at blue smoke - that can easily be changed! bring on the ribs and sides.

looking forward to having you back in nyc!!!