Friday, September 07, 2007

Typhoon and Technology



Typhoon hit Tokyo last night. It was super windy out and impossible to hold up an umbrella. Kenn arrived late afternoon and we went a couple blocks to have sushi but otherwise stayed in away from the storm. It's Friday morning and the storm has past already. Tonight Kenn is dj'ing at Bar Milwaukee.

You'll notice some new shared links at the right. The one called 'Digital Kids' I thought was interesting. Talks about how his kids (ages 5 and 1 1/2) grow up with today's technology:

* My children believe television is provided by Apple.
* They believe you can pause TV, shift it from room to room, manipulate it.
* They think TV is videogames, google, weather.
* They think music comes in iPods, and that I can go back and play it again.
* Phones are for pockets.
* When Daddy’s away, they can see him, watch him do work, share videos, play games remotely.
* They make movies and photo collages and songs for gifts to their grandparents.
* They aren’t social networkers now, but they could be.

And to put in perspective, in his childhood:
* Television was black and white and infrequent.
* If what was on didn’t appeal, I walked away, or more often, watched blankly until I got my fill.
* Music was vinyl, easily damaged, and very very finite.
If I wanted to be creative, it ended up as a single serving entity. Only my parents or whoever I could reach physically could see it.
* The people in my neighborhood were the people I could meet.
* Everything was handed down, and there was no up.

The world is changing my friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gotta love technology. i may have to get the new itouch...yes, me, the one always with the cheapest basic cell aka mobile. :)

now that you are about tab browsing - check out safari!
http://www.apple.com/safari/