Saturday, August 18, 2007

My first movie

I haven't been to a movie theater since before I moved to Japan. Today I went to see Transformers with Serena. First of all, Transformers was awesome! I really enjoyed it. Now, my brother just 2 years younger than me used to watch Transformers and have the toys so naturally I watched and played with them as well and am very familiar. This movie was super cool and made me wish it existed when we were kids, it would've been really exciting to watch back then. I have to say I really enjoyed it and despite some silly dialog and what some reviews say as a "shallow" story, it was entertaining. I mean what kind of depth are people looking for? I thought it was funny and action packed and the graphics were amazing. I don't know how they made it look so great.

The cool thing about movie theaters here is that it's all stadium seating and reserved. Either when you are buying tickets online or at the theater, you select your seats. At the theater, they show you a map and ask you to pick from what's available. Pretty cool, no worrying about getting there early to save good seats. Tickets are 1800 yen which is about $16. I guess not super expensive in comparison to Manhattan but locally that's pretty pricey. I enjoyed the experience so much that I think I'll start going to the movies more often now.

I was surprised it's out so early in Japan but I guess they are starting to release some things a bit earlier here now. Ocean's 13 and Harry Potter were playing as well. Some American movies are dubbed but the one we went to, like many of them, was subtitled. I cannot imagine having to watch Transformers with subtitles, it must be annoying. The other really interesting experience about going to the movies here was that there were so many jokes and pop culture references that the Japanese audience didn't get. Serena and I would crack up at some parts and no one else was laughing. Like when the main character Sam kicks his friend out of the car to give a girl a ride and his friend says something like, you're breaking the rules "bro's over ho's"...haha.

There was one part though where Sam sees his car as a robot and he says something like "it's a robot...a really advanced one.. must be Japanese..." and the audience did laugh at that. ha

Anyway I thought it was a great movie and fun time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jenn. I saw the movie last week on a really hot day. I always like to see flicks on super hot days. Transformers has been out in NYC since July 2. I didn't care about the mumble jumble about the "cube" and the origins of the Decepticons and Megatrons. Bottom line-- action and special effects!
I first encountered "advanced seating" in Bangkok 37 years ago. The theatres would have a layout of the auditorium on paper and we could pick our seats. Then they would "X" out those seats. And the best part was standing for the Thai national anthem before the screening. It was a cool tune.

Livia said...

fun! i keep meaning to see Transformers.

Transformers...more than meets THE EYE...