Friday, August 10, 2007

Facebook

I reluctantly finally signed up on Facebook. I had been part of Friendster for years but lost interest in it. I eventually created a profile on MySpace just so I could view other people's profiles but never go on it now. I use LinkedIn since so many colleagues are networking on it. But no one ever invited me to Facebook and though I heard of it, I thought of it as just another social networking site.

But it's been in the industry news so much lately that I finally caved. After all, if I consider myself such an internet marketing expert, I should see what all the hype is about. So I created a profile yesterday and started adding friends and applications and groups and trying things out... boy oh boy is it addictive! Now I get why it's getting so much attention and growing so rapidly. It really has a sticky nature because of all these cool applications and tools you can add and use. It has strong networking capability and allows you to see friends' actions.

It feels a little weird to mix social networking with business networking though. There is a lot of information I'm putting up about me (although I don't have to of course) like photos and job/education history. And it's just as interesting to study other people's profiles.

I am not sure if I will lose interest in this also but it sure is addictive at the moment. I've spent almost 2 full days at work on the site. It really is related to my job though so I don't feel guilty. I even joined some industry groups and am networking with clients I met in HK and China!

Find me on Facebook if you're on it :)

No comments: