Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Potato croquettes, custard dessert...expensive fruit

Tuesday night Japanase cooking lesson #2 - potato croquettes, japanese cole slaw, miso soup, lotus root side dish, and custard with caramel sauce. All from scratch of course. Pic from the cooking studio website:



Pic of the meal I made:



This one had less hard to find ingredients and slightly easier to make than the last class. Except for the fact that you have to deep fry the croquetts which is always a big pain. Everything was really good, wasn't really a ran of the miso soup- it had ume plum in it. The custard was surprisingly easy to make so I imagine using my new found cooking techniques someday.

On another note, do you know how expensive fruit can get in Japan? Some fruit can get really pricey including these melons (Amy took this pic at my local grocery store):



3000 yen is $25! They get even higher like 10,000 yen! Not all fruit is expensive but a lot are and my coworker told me it's because they are grown carefully and meticulously at farms in Japan. When I searched online for explanations I found some of the same - they are "grown with a great deal of attentive care in a well-controlled greenhouse". It's mostly these types of melons that I see most expensive. But strawberries are sometimes around $1 each. I don't why anyone would pay these prices for fruit.

This random guy's blog I found also has some more pics of expensive fruit in Japan. Ridiculous.

2 comments:

Livia said...

anytime you want to make the custard when you are back in nyc - i'd be happy to come over! :)

the food pics are similar! go you and your cooking!

only in japan is there perfect fruit that is pricey then there is chinatown where the fruit is deformed but cheap. ha ha.

Anonymous said...

A couple of observations:
1) That blogger's writing is pretty interesting and good. Must be a frustrated novelist.
2) Who actually pays those prices? It should be expensive for the Japanese too. Hmmm, does that lead to a "black market" for fruit? Haha. Psst, hey buddy, wanna buy some hot cantaloupes? Check out these melons! ( Freudian slip intended).