Monday, May 14, 2007

9 month mark

Just passed the 9 month mark of my stay in Japan. Wow. I've said it before and I'll say it again- time goes by fast here!

So Friday night, we had a group of new friends/expats/visitors for dinner and drinks. We had Meeghan (Kenn's friend of friend from Vermont who is here for 3 months), Rupa (my friend Amy's friend from NY who is where for 9 months), a friend of Rupa's friend who just moved here permanently - Nichola?, Dylan (neighbor next door who just moved here last month), and Casey (my coworker's gf's friend who is just visiting for 2 weeks). Real mix and we managed to luckily find a place to eat for dinner that could accomodate us. Afterwards Kenji met up with us (our new Japanese friend we met through Brandon) and we went to the bar that Brandon dj's at (Brandon lives upstairs from us). A fun Friday evening that of course ended with early morning ramen.

When I woke up on Saturday, my calves were killing me, they were sooo sore. I couldn't figure out why at first - standing too much? dancing? It didn't make sense until I remembered that we had evacuation training Friday afternoon in my office building. We are on the 30th floor and had to walk down 30 flights. It took 7 minutes which I think is pretty long but would have taken even longer if there were even more people in the stairwell. At the bottom, there were stations like CPR training and practicing shooting the fire hose. I got to try the fire hose which was kinda fun. Very powerful flow of water. Anyway the 30 flights down is why my calves hurt.

Sunday Kenn and I went to the festival in Asakusa. We think we found it at least... Groups of people carry portable shrines around and drums. And near a main shrine are food stalls and game stalls. We enjoyed the afternoon eating and drinking and watching the festivities:



1 comment:

Amy Honigfeld said...

Sooo funny that I'm reading this now. We had our annual American Express fire evacuation drill today. I was on 28 and it took @10 minutes to walk down. By the end my legs were shaking...Then I went to go swimming- and bailed after 15 minutes- as my legs were downright worthless...