Monday, October 09, 2006

Asakusa - Senso-Ji Shrine

Sunday I checked out another neighborhood - Asakusa. The Senso-Ji shrine is there. And also a whole lot of people :) There is a whole shopping row of little booths/shops selling souvenirs and rice crackers and things leading up to the shrine. I like visiting shrines. There is definitely something spiritual about them despite all the tourists. One of the pics below is of a painting on the shrine ceiling.




Here is the fortune I got at the shrine. You pay 100 yen and shake this container of sticks until one comes out. The stick has a number on it and then you match it up to the corresponding drawer with that number and take out a fortune. The English is pretty funny to read, see if you can make sense of it...



I was walking around and saw this shop - an actual official Monchichi shop! Do you guys remember Monchichis?? Now that's a blast from the past.

Asakusa is also known for good tempura so I roamed around trying to find a restaurant for some. Finally found one and ordered a plate of assorted tempura (fish, shrimp and veggies). It was good but I realized eating a whole plate of tempura isn't exactly easy on the stomach. Ha.

I uploaded more photos to my Kodak Gallery link if you're interested.

No comments: