Sunday, October 15, 2006

Another earthquake

Yesterday morning there was another earthquake which actually woke me up! It was around 6:40am and I woke up and felt my bed shaking. I wasn't sure if I was dreaming or imagining it but I freaked out and got up into the doorway. I suppose I overreacted, it was about the same level of earthquake as the other one I experienced last time in the office. Enough to feel if you are indoors but you probably wouldn't notice if you were outside. I'm surprised it woke me up though. I did look it up online confirming there was one and some people at dinner later mentioned it also so I definitely wasn't imagining things. I have to admit the whole earthquake thing freaks me out a little. I need to get or make myself an emergency kit just in case.

So Saturday I was psyched to find the Mets game on TV in the morning. They lost the game though. Afterwards I went to the Edo-Tokyo museum. It was pretty cool, they have recreations of the Edo period in intricate models. Pics below don't do it justice. These elaborately created models have binoculars next to the displays where you can examine the scene. When looking at it through binoculars it gives you this really cool feel of being "in" the scene and a great sense of what life might have been like back then. Very educational exhibits and got me learning and thinking about the history and growth of Tokyo. Very enlightening cultural experience. See, I do expand beyond partying at Feria and watching Grey's Anatomy - hehe. On a serious note, there was this whole section about the WWII bombings by America and the destruction it caused. That was pretty uncomfortable and depressing. Did you know they killed some of the animals at the Tokyo zoo because they were afraid that bombings might free some of the animals who would then get loose in the city? Very sad.



Went to a nice group dinner with a bunch of Lauren and Sarah's friends. It was a fun dinner but I had a horrible headache so that ruined it for me. We went to Karaoke afterwards and I was going to go home because my head hurt so bad and then I started to feel nauseous for some reason but I went anyway and felt better after some ginger ale. Karoake was fun, my first karaoke in Tokyo. For those of you not familiar, it's the sit in a room with friends type of karaoke. In Tokyo (or maybe just this place?) it's all you can drink. Sang a bunch of usual group fun songs for 2 hours. Then not surprisingly they wanted to go to Feria again! I dodged out and went home. I stuck to my word and did not go there yet again.

Feeling sorta homesick but I really don't know if it's because I know I am going home soon. Maybe I wouldn't even think about home otherwise but I am sooo looking forward visiting NY. Top items on my list of things to eat: Pizza, bagels, mac & cheese or anything cheese, a huge Amercian beef burger, steak, mash potatoes, mexican, takeout Chinese. Mmmmmm.... I suppose I am looking forward to seeing Kenn, my family and my friends too. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other than missing friends and family, I think most people miss the food back home. Or the weather, if the place one is at has a year round climate.

Anonymous said...

don't mind helping you on the eating!!! :)

game 4 going on right now - mets are up 5-3 bottom of the 5th. can they tie up the series?

can't believe the tigers are going to the world series!!! Prof Thom's was nuts saturday night with a tigers win and then a michigan win. GO BLUE!

have a safe trip back! looking forward to seeing you!!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you!
We have to go to Lindo to make sure you get your Mexican food fix (mojitos) too!

JLRE

Susan said...

Hey Jenn,

I found an email that had your blog email. VERY cool. What a different culture!

Now I just have to resist the temptation to create my own....

Hope all is well. things are crazy here...

Susan