Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Losing fashion perspective

I think I've been in Japan too long and I can't tell good fashion from a fashion faux pax anymore. Can someone tell me if these are new trends in the US, are fashion no-no's, or neither....?
1) Wearing peds that are visible with your shoes (or even intentionally showing)
2) Wearing skirts or dresses with leggings

I just can't tell if these things are normal anymore.

I've also been here so long I'm starting to wear makeup on a normal basis now (highly unusual for me). I even caught myself putting on blush before going to the park on Sunday. And if I wear flip flops or sneakers, I feel frumpy. What's happening to me? haha

In other news, Japanese class last week was ok. Kenn missed it because he was still sick with a cold. We learned numbers, and not just 1 to 10. In Japanese, they count numbers in terms of 10,000s which really throws me off. So for example: 250,000 is 25 ten thousands. Why can't things just be simple? This week we'll be learning to tell time among other things.

This week is my last week at our current office. We are moving locations as a result of the merger so I will have to commute a bit further now. Saying goodbye to a great office location is a bummer.

Next Friday Kenn and I leave for Thailand. I am speaking at a conference in Bangkok - well actually leading a workshop on measuring branding and marketing ROI. Yup, aren't I important? (yea right - I hope I don't suck) We're going to be in Bangkok the weekend before and after Bangkok we are are flying to Phuket for the rest of the week. Maybe try and hit Phi Phi also depending on the weather. Can't wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sawadee.
Sorry, can't help you with fashion trends.
The Chinese also have a counting unit of "ten thousand"-- we probably passed it on to the Japanese.

Anonymous said...

was going to make the same comment as your uncle on the counting and chinese counting. it is confusing.

as for the fashion thing - this is just my opinion. i've never been a fan of visible peds. think leggings under dresses is okay - not a look i've done - but think okay.

how did the conference go? anything on ROI you can share? don't know if it's proprietary info or there is a new industry standard. was just reading about what IBM has to say about it. actually we're looking at new ways to evaluate the interactive business because realize the traditional ways of analysis may not capture all the benefits. curious what you think and presented.