Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Gmail Web Clips / RSS Reader

(Yes, a new blog layout! Time for a change. I added a widget at the right which will link to items I'd like to share from other blogs or news feeds I read. Enjoy my new tech savvy-ness.)

You can add your favorite RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds to your Gmail account using Gmail Clips. For those of you who aren't as tech savvy, this means that if you have a gmail account and want to see clips of headlines including posts to MY BLOG :), then follow these steps:

- Log in to your Gmail account.
- Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
- Open the Web Clips tab.
- Enter the feed URL you'd like to view in the field under Search.
>> For my blog, enter: http://www.jenniferng.blogspot.com/
- Click Search.
- Once Gmail locates the feed, click Add so you can view it in Web Clips!

Now above your inbox, it will show my blog post topics that you can link to when you see a new one. Gmail adds a ton of random web clips so you may want to go back into the Settings>Web Clips tab and remove some or even all the other random news feeds so only mine shows up :)

If you are new to RSS readers and want to try something a little more advanced than Web Clips in gmail, here is a free RSS reader from Google: www.google.com/reader
If you read multiple blogs or news sites often, it's a great way to get your news and blog updates from different websites all in one place! Go technology!

My brother just told me you can use RSS in Firefox also. Obviously I am a little behind the times. I admit I've known about RSS for a long time but never tried it until yesterday. It's awesome.

No comments: