Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Guangzhou Part 3

Friends in town has kept me too busy to complete my Guangzhou series of posts. I figure I better do it now before I entirely forget the experience.

When I first arrived in China and was going through immigration one of the guys behind me got yelled at my an immigration officer to take off his hat. That was one of my first impressions of the country, wow they are strict.

It's very crowded as expected but something that struck me was the traffic. Everyone just dashes into or across the road, in front of moving vehicles and everything. I thought taxis in NYC were crazy but taxis there were all over the place. You can help but feel a little motion sickness. It was just insanity in the streets, free for all. I was scared to cross but my coworker said you just have to do it, run right in...

I still have to get those pics up at some point. My client meeting went very well. All the people in the meeting understood English. I wonder how Guangzhou compares to other cities. I'm especially interested in visiting Beijing and Shanghai. I think I will get to visit both for work, which would be really cool. As long as I have a Chinese tour guide to take me around. It's too much of a hassle to try to get around myself with English. Also, I'm not a big fan of travelling alone. I don't mind it for business trips. But to enjoy a place, I like having a companion. I know a lot of people really enjoy or say they enjoy travelling alone but I don't at all. I think life is more fun when enjoyed with someone else. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

traveling with others is more fun! if they can keep up. :)

you and kenn are welcome to come on the silk road trip with my family in september 2007! booking it at the end of the month, i think.

KT said...

Hey, I've been really busy so haven't kept up with your blog. Nothing personal, I haven't kept up with mine either. :)

Anyway, really cool to hear you're in Guangzhou! I'm actually going there in February... but before that.. I'm stopping over in TOKYO!!

I hope you're there then so we can catch up!!! and you can show me where the locals eat! :)

KT said...

You know.. I always thought driving in Chinatown (NYC) was like being in a video game trying to dodge the pedestrians that jump out in between parked cars. They must think they're still in China.. :)