Monday, July 02, 2007

Hello from Bangkok!

We arrived safely on Friday night. Thai Airways was roomy, had a good curry dinner. Movies were medicore. One stupid Disney movie about 2 teenagers and an indie film called Namesake about and Indian American family, which was pretty good. For some reason the flight attendant didn't like me though and she was rude.

The weekend in Bangkok (both our first time in Thailand) was spent sightseeing at the major sights - Grand Palace, Reclining Buddha, Wat Arun temple, longtail boat tour on the river, and eating Pad Thai (which really does taste better in Thailand!). We also went to the weekend market and the IT Center (Pantip Plaza) for some software and movies. Yup, "legal" software of course. Hehe.

My impression of Bangkok is that it's too hot (it's not even the hot season) and it's a combination of modern and non-modern. There are skyscrapers and businesses and nice hotels on one hand. And it's dirty, run down and poor on the other. Riding around the back river canals was a real eye opener for me. It really put into perspective how privilaged we are compared to some people in the world. It was so weird to ride in a boat with my $200 sunglasses, Prada wallet, and diamond ring through where people live in run down shacks, looking into their homes and private lives. It made me feel bad but at the same time I know I cannot feel guilty for where/how I was born as that was not up to me. At least I am aware of how lucky I am and I'm glad I have that awareness.

Near our hotel the streets come alive at night with night markets and restaurants. There are a shady few streets with I think strip clubs, "massage" parlors and gay bars. Truthfully that is what I expected all of Bangkok to be like. Right in the middle of the night markets where vendors sell fake goods (sneakers, bags, watches, etc) there are venues that advertise (excuse my language) Pussy Pong and other such interesting entertainment acts. They even come up to you with menus of items of what "shows" they have and some with drawn pictures or diagrams on them explaining.... Uh yea.. shady is all I can say about that...

The first day of the conference I'm at was somewhat a disaster. A lot of the speakers cancelled at the last minute and I even had to cover someone's presentation. Ridiculous that I presented someone else's deck on Corporate Social Responsibility, something I know nothing about. I basically read the slides but I guess I did it with such enthusiam that people asked me questions about the deck later. Ha! Tomorrow the chairperson won't be there because a movie camera fell on his foot and they asked me to chair in addition to my workshop. It's a small conference so I don't mind but how crazy.

Off to Phuket on Wednesday, looking forward to relaxing on the beach, unwinding and massages. :)

By the way, Livia's boyfriend is in Thailand:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jenn-- what hotel are you staying in? Sounds like you're near Petchburi Road or Sukhumvit Road.

Anonymous said...

namesake was a good book! when i was in thailand someone said there are 3 temps there - hot, hotter, and hottest. it is sticky hot! you are such an adult! :) glad the presentations went well! i am all for more education on CSR! glad to see my bf gets around - although thai ronald may be too spiritual. :) enjoy the rest of your time in thailand!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Jenn,
Your conference overview is hysterical. I'm totally calling you to present for me in the future:-)