Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Japan Today

Some good Japan bits today.

Often times when I rode the subway in NYC and suddenly the local went express or there was some station announcement about train changes, I wondered how people who did not understand English would figure out what was going on. Well, on my commute to work today, I got to experience that.

There were announcements in Japanese at my station. There was some sign (in japanese) and even a guy with a video camera. I had no idea what was going on but proceeded to enter the station anyway. A train arrived and I got on it, there were some more announcements. Then after 2 stops, more announcements and everyone got off the train. It didn't seem like another one was coming and everyone was exiting so I decided to follow some signs to another train line. I found a train map with enough english on it to figure out it went in the direction I wanted. I took that train and transfered to another one to finally get me to my work stop. Whew. I guess I got lucky that the train let off somewhere I could transfer. I later asked my coworker what was going on today and he looked it up online. Apparently some electrical issues. It kinda sucked to be so in the dark about what was happening!

My friend Glory forwarded me this hilarious article today. Though street crime is relatively low in Japan, quirky camouflage designs like this vending-machine dress are being offered to an increasingly anxious public to hide from would-be assailants:



I mean, how ridiculous is that! You have to love the Japanese!

"...By holding the sheet open and stepping to the side of the road, she showed how a woman walking alone could elude pursuers — by disguising herself as a vending machine.....
But the devices’ creators also argue that Japan’s ideas about crime prevention are a product of deeper cultural differences. While Americans want to protect themselves from criminals, or even strike back, the creators say many Japanese favor camouflage and deception, reflecting a culture that abhors self-assertion, even in self-defense...
“It is just easier for Japanese to hide,” Ms. Tsukioka said. “Making a scene would be too embarrassing.”..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But what if the bad guys got thirsty and wanted a soda?
What's worse than subway riders not knowing the local language are the ones who do but don't hear the announcements of changes because they have their Ipod buds stuck in their ears! On weekends in NYC, no subway line runs "normal".

Livia said...

go you for making it to work! this weekend people that could understand english were confused by the 1 going express part of the way b/c of construction. i did my good deed for the day by explaining. it's like being at work where people just don't listen to basic instructions. :)